To be honest, I suck at posting to my various blogs in a consistent fashion. And with the various file types and storage options for documents out there, well, it was becoming more and more ridiculous to have to keep downloading conversation software just to maintain every scrap of writing I could from my past. Also, I'm too cheap for cloud based storage. So I figured I'd dedicate an entire blog not to my current musings and adventures, but to my prior contemplations. At this moment, I'm not entirely certain what I'll do with this blog. Maybe just post old writings with no explanations or perhaps provide introductory backpedaling to outdated personal opinions. At present? I haven't the faintest notion of what I'm doing. And frankly? I like it.

Friday, March 21, 2014

'The Unexpected Craziness of a Grandmas Life' - School Work - May 2003

It’s 5:00 a.m. Rose Ann Anglin is up already sitting on a cardboard box fixing
breakfast for her brother George and sister Mary. “Dad’s off working somewhere or other
while moms off working at the drug store so that left me to do all the cooking and the
raising of my siblings on account of I was the oldest.” After breakfast there’s always the
usual getting ready for school, which never took long because everyone on the block
looked forward to the traditional before school baseball game.

My grandma, Rose Ann Anglin, was born May 5th 1936 in the town of Big Spring
Texas. “Growing up,” said grandma, “ was never hard for us. Mom worked at the drug
store downtown for 50 cent’s an hour while dad worked here and there. I was left to take
care of everybody.” I thought, “Jeez, that must have been hard on y’all”. “Not really
Chad cause back then you didn’t know no different,” said mawmaw. (That’s just what I
call her) “Of course back then things was much more different than today, everybody
looked out for everybody else, no one was breaking into houses, doing drugs, or having
sex everybody was happy with their life and enjoyed it.”

Did anybody back then have fun at all? “Oh, you rat fink (what that means I’ll
never know) of course we had fun. I remember sitting in the living room with my brother
and sister listening to the Lone Ranger show, country music stars like Hank Williams,
and (of course) Elvis Presley. Every now and then we would walk on down to
Montgomery Wards to look at the televisions and gawk over them. But we were active
too. We would play baseball before school, and sometimes even on the way to school,
we’d stop and go for a swim. Of course we went through the woods to get to schoolalthough we were supposed to stay on the road. Mom never did find that out until two
years ago. Boy, was she upset!” (See even our grandparents had rebellion in them)

But what about the teenage years? Was that boring? Of course not! My Grandma
and her friend were regular tease’s to all the local GIs “We didn’t go to the GIs they
came to us cause they knew where we were at. Aside from the regular routine of taking
care of George and Mary, I worked and had a ball. Me and my cousin Carol worked at adrive-in movie theater selling food at the concession stand. We weren’t old enough to sellliquor so we had to work at the drive-in.(lol) Down the street about a block from wheremom worked, there was a movie theater that showed three different shows for 9 cent’sapiece. Then there was the world famous Big Spring record store, it really was world
famous, people all over the world would come to shop there for their favorite music.We went to see Elvis in concert when I was a teen. He was dreamy. But of course there
was only one guy for me, your grandpa Debo. I met him talking like I did every day to
the GIs. He was in the air force, with dreamy blue eyes, and brownish blondish hair.We got married a year later and had four kids, Charles, Linda, Greg, and the youngest
Russell (your dad).

I never thought my grandma could be so cool. Usually for school projects I wouldinterview my grandpa because he was in the air force so I thought he had someinteresting stories to tell. But taking into consideration mothers day and my grandmasbirthday on the 5th I thought I would interview her. And it was well worth my time. I will
always remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment